Yes, it’s true, mold exposure can cause rage and a host of other awful symptoms. Exposure to mycotoxins, which are toxic substances (secondary metabolites) produced by certain types of mold, can have serious health effects. One of the most disturbing of these effects is the potential to cause rage, as well as other forms of neural, cognitive, and emotional dysfunction. In children, exposure can result in a condition called PANS a type of Autoimmune Encephalitis.

There are many different types of mycotoxins, and they can be found in a variety of different sources, including contaminated food, water, and air. When inhaled, these toxins can have a profound impact on the human body, leading to a wide range of symptoms and health problems.

One of the ways that mold exposure can cause rage is by triggering an immune response in the body. When the immune system is activated, it releases chemicals called cytokines, which can cause inflammation and other changes in the body. This immune activation can lead to mood changes, including anger and aggression, anxiety, and depression. These inflammatory chemicals can also damage brain cells and cause inflammation in the brain. In addition, mycotoxins can directly bind to brain cells and disrupt their function, leading to neurological symptoms, and problems with memory, concentration, and emotional regulation.

Another way that toxic mold exposure can cause out-of-character behavior including rage, anxiety, and extreme depression is due to its impact on the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The ANS is a part of the nervous system that controls automatic body functions, such as breathing, heart rate, digestion, and other functions that do not require conscious effort.

There are two main divisions of the ANS: the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system is often referred to as the “fight or flight” system, as it activates the body’s physiological response to stress. The parasympathetic nervous system, on the other hand, helps the body relax and restore itself.

Exposure to toxic mold and other toxins can disrupt the normal functioning of the ANS, leading to sometimes severe and worrying symptoms that may come on suddenly, especially after exposure.

When the ANS is dysfunctional, it can lead to an imbalance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. This can cause the body to overreact to stress or stimuli, leading to a heightened stress response. This can manifest as anxiety, panic attacks, or rage episodes.

A dysfunctional ANS can also lead to other problems, such as difficulty regulating heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature. It can also cause digestive problems, difficulty sleeping, and other issues.

As it relates to this topic, some common symptoms associated with mold and mycotoxin exposure include:

  • Headaches
  • Memory loss
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Anxiety and stressing out about small things
  • Mood swings
  • Tremors

The effects of mycotoxin exposure can be especially dangerous for people who are already struggling with brain health issues, such as TBIs, memory loss, brain fog, depression, or anxiety. These toxins can seriously exacerbate existing conditions and make it more difficult for people to manage their emotions and behaviors. It’s not something to take lightly.

If you believe that you are living, working, or studying in a stricture with toxic mold please take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from exposure. The best way to protect the body is to remove it from the source of exposure. If you are a property owner please consult with a qualified mold inspection and remediation company to properly asses the structure and remove mold. Supporting your body during and after exposure can also be very helpful. Please see some of the suggestions mentioned in this post.

Have you or your loved ones experienced any of these symptoms, please share your story below so we can raise awareness about this silent epidemic.

Helpful Resources/Publications
Ways That Trichothecene Mycotoxins Damage Mast Cells & How To Support The Body

Is Indoor Mold a Problem? – Does It Harm Human Health?

Water-Damaged Home Causes Serious Health Issues in Occupants – Case Study

Mold inhalation causes innate immune activation, neural, cognitive, and emotional dysfunction – Study

Inhalational Alzheimer’s disease: an unrecognized—and treatable—epidemic


Chemical Free Gal – If you enjoyed this post and would like to support me so that I can continue to provide valuable resources and help to people in our community, click here.

You may also like...


  1. My story: mysterious illnesses in mostly my kids, loss of ability to play sports, go to school- but lots of ups and downs. Struggle through a medical system that couldn’t diagnose, nor help much. Found doctors that could “help” at a high price. Loss of home and peace. Daughter’s suicide. Grief. Turmoil, trauma. Reactive emotions, fear, exhaustion, struggle to find our way. Husband’s cold rage and nasty divorce (personality change and betrayal included). Struggles to this day to get this stuff, along with Lyme disease that reared up through it all, out of our bodies and brains. Amidst all the struggles and unfairness of it all, have been lessons of love, hope, faith and perseverance too. We cling to those.

    1. Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry for all that you have been through. My heart especially aches for the damage done to children as I’ve seen and experienced this heartache firsthand. I pray that little by little you can breathe again and find peace and hope from above. God bless you and thank you so much for your vulnerability in sharing your story. 💛

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: